Sunday, September 5, 2010

Cold Beer & Connect 4

So it's labor day weekend, and David and I would just love to get out of town, but we've got some trips already planned over the next two months so we decide to stay in Jax and find things to do here locally. David told me in advance to come up with some ideas for the weekend so we wouldn't be without a plan. No plan + 1 baby = not likely we'll be leaving the house.

Okay, so Friday night..that's easy, dinner and a movie date night. We hadn't been to the theatre since Kenley was born. That was more than 6 months ago and now Eat Pray Love is out. I read the book and liked it so here was my chance to see the story unfold on the big screen. I actually really liked the movie,  and I'm even a little embarrassed to admit that I liked it better than the book. I was also happy with our dinner choice at Seven Bridges (even though I couldn't understand why my tacos had a hard and soft shell combined).

Saturday morning...Riverside Arts Market. David and I had visited this Saturday market before. My first impression was blehh, but I was open to giving it another shot b/c I'm pretty sure I was cranky and pregnant the first time. I'm so glad I gave The Riverside Arts Market another chance. Of course, Kenley was with us now and she seemed to enjoy it every bit as much as her mommy and daddy. A very talented fire juggler was the most entertaining street performer. And then there was a hula-hoop girl who could really cut a rug while she performed her hoop magic, not really magic..just a little mesmerizing and made me wonder if I should take up hula-hooping so I could be as fit as this girl. Oh yeah, and some people also got married on the main stage. That was sweet although it made me feel a little bit like a wedding crasher to stand and watch. We took some family pics by the river and then agreed it was too hot to stay any longer. Beyond the Arts Market, I had no more ideas. Work, baby, fatigue, etc. had prevented me from getting any further during my pre-planning.

Since we were already in Riverside, I suggested I introduce David to Bold City Brewery; a pub/locally owned brewery. I had only been there once before for a small group social hour with the Junior League. That's right, Junior League ladies like to drink beer. Anyway, since we had Kenley, David was hesitant. He felt it would be too much like a Sweet Home Alabama "You have a baby...in a bar" moment. I convinced him otherwise by emphasizing the establishment was more of a brewery/unique local attraction than an actual bar.

It's a little after 1 pm when we get to Bold City. The pub area is small, dim and feels a little English village like. Plenty of folks were already there, but it wasn't crowded. The air conditioning felt nice too.  I'm thinking David is into it. Meanwhile, we've got Kenley in the car seat carrier, and we're just waiting for some funny looks as we find our way to our table. Okay, so no one's judging. Awesome!

Our server brought us a free beer sampler so we could decide which of their beers we would like to order. The samples ran from light to dark. David and I both preferred the cream ale Killer Whale so that's what we ordered. We noticed a bookshelf full of games so we played a little Crap or Fact and then we broke out the Connect 4. I won our best 3 out of 5 championship and felt victorious. Shortly after that, our server came to the table to ask if we wanted to go on the tour. Well, yeah. So I grab Kenley and David grabs the camera and off we went to find out how the beer is made. The tour was interesting. David was snapping away and there I stood in public with a baby on my hip and a beer in my hand.

After the tour, we were ready for lunch so we wrapped things up at Bold City and headed for Eurpean Street in San Marco. I ordered a roast beef sandwich. I think it was the best roast beef sandwich I've ever eaten...just thought you should know.

1 comment:

  1. You took your baby........to a bar! David should have taken the picture of you with a beer in your hand and Kenley on your hip! I love it. You can take a girl out of Georgia, but you can't take the Georgia out of the girl!

    -Jackie

    ReplyDelete